PSR Volunteer Catechist
The Five L’s of Vocation
LOOK for Christ in each person you meet.
LISTEN to the voice of God and heed his Words.
LEARN to discern your gifts for serving the kingdom of God while you are here on earth.
LIVE every moment of your life for God - giving Him everything.
LOVE God and share that love with others.
Why Be a Catechist?
- Each of us receives special gifts to serve God and the Church. We are called to discern what our gifts are and how we are to use them to fulfill God’s plan. Did you know that helping parents teach the faith to the youth is one of many important vocations?
- The Church needs you - not just our parish, but the universal Church needs dedicated disciples to pass on the faith and foster the love of Christ in our members.
- In order to grow in our faith, we need to challenge ourselves to learn from others and help others learn. Your knowledge of the faith will increase because you will learn while you teach.
- Everything you say and do in your life is a model for our youth. If you prioritize catechesis and discipleship in your life, then our youth will know it is important.
- If you are reading this, perhaps God is calling you to be a catechist!
Our parish is in need of enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers to help create classroom opportunities for the youth to encounter and enter into a relationship with Jesus Christ. The time commitment is about 1.5 hours on 24 Sundays per year (a few extra dates for grades that are receiving Sacraments) and time spent preparing lessons. There is a 1 hour Catechist meeting in the fall before classes begin, a few hours of required training offered year round, and a year end Catechist Appreciation event. We provide resources to assist you with planning lessons, materials for crafts or projects, tools for communicating with the parents, a St Rose Gmail for PSR communications, and a support team.
If you have discerned catechesis is a vocation you are being called to and you want to teach but feel like you don’t know enough to be able to teach, please take a leap of faith and apply. Assistant Catechist positions are available where you are mentored by an experienced Catechist until you feel confident and are ready to lead your own classes.
Do you already have past experience in catechesis? Sharing your gifts with others is very rewarding and we invite you to come take another look at PSR and consider being a part of the current PSR program. We’ve been making many beneficial and exciting changes and we need your experienced help to continue moving forward and bringing improvements to the program.
For our parish youth (ages 14+) who feel called to serve in the PSR program, the Assistant Catechist position is a great way to gain experience and be mentored. This position counts toward Service Hours for High School students and may be used for those applying for National Honor Society or other such awards.
We pray for God to bring us many joyful disciples to share the faith through catechesis!