Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
May 31 Update
It is a great pleasure for me to write to all of you. I take this opportunity to thank Barbara Willour and all the members of your Haiti Ministry team for your continued financial support to the parishioners of NotreDame de Robillard parish. I congratulate Barbara on her plan to retire from serving Haiti. Personally, I know that Barbara has a big heart for the people of Robillard and that she has worked very hard to help me meet the needs of the people of Robillard. As I have often said, the parish of Saint Rose has made a big difference in the life of the people in Robillard.
Fr. Andre Sylvestre pastor Notre Dame de la Merci Parish Robillard, Haití
March 8 Update
Our ministry was begun in 2002 with the first mission team traveling to our sister parish Notre Dame de la Merci in Robillard. We knew nothing about Haiti before that first visit. With guidance from the pastor Fr. Jean Raynold Michel, we found our purpose, our calling. The Rose-Merci Clinic was built in 2005. Our hope was to provide good, basic health care to the Haitians living in and around Robillard. Since that time, we have supported the talent of medical personnel who are the heart of the Clinic. About half of your donations keep this facility in top condition. As a related basic need became apparent, we began to provide a mid-morning meal each day for the school children. We have seen great improvement in the health of the population, especially the children, pregnant women and newborns. God willing, we will continue to serve our Haitian brothers and sisters. We do ask for your prayers. Haiti is not doing well economically. In our sister parish, the people express the fear they feel because of events over the last 18 months that challenge the well-being of all. St. Rose has been our source of faith and support. Please call upon the Holy Spirit to guide us and help the good people of Notre Dame de la Merci.
Fr. Andre Sylvestre firstname.lastname@example.org
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service