Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
Haiti Update Mar 10
A week ago, the elementary school children in Robillard, Haiti were in school. It was Saturday and classes were in session all day. Fr. Andre ordered this extra day of classes to make up time lost when there was civil unrest in Haiti. Also, it was important to make up educational time because the next few days the children would be on retreat in preparation for Lent. 300 children would sleep and eat together at the school. The theme was Jesus Christ and His Church. Eight cooks stayed for the retreat and prepared nutritious meals for the children. The children slept on the floor in 4 classrooms. Musicians came to play music and the children learned new hymns and dances that expressed their faith. Fr. Andre recruited 5 priests to give talks— among them was Fr. Michel who used to be the priest at Notre Dame de la Merci when this mission ministry began. The 3 days have been a long-standing tradition to guide the young in faith formation leading to Confirmation. Volunteers from the community came to work on the 4 new classrooms under construction. We still need additional funds to complete the work. Any donation large or small is needed. Mark your donation as Haiti School. Never underestimate the difference we make in this Haitian parish.
Fr. Andre Sylvestre firstname.lastname@example.org
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service