Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
November 17 Update
Thank you, Saint Rose, for your generous response to our fundraiser for education in our sister parish in Robillard, Haiti. We don’t have the final total upon submitting this article. If you still want to make a donation, please take a picture of a child from the box on a table in the Narthex and make your donation in an envelope marked “Haiti”. Daniel Tillias has returned to his family in Port-au-Prince with a new story to tell about his experience with snow!
November 10 Update
We have our annual fundraiser to support the EDUCATION in our sister parish in Haiti this weekend. We invited Daniel Tillias from Haiti to say a few words about our mission in Haiti. Daniel has been with our ministry since 2003. He has served as our translator and advisor over the years and translated for the Haitian pastors when visiting St. Rose. The past two years he has advised us about gardening projects at our school Notre Dame de la Merci. As a young adult, Daniel worked with Pax Christi in Haiti. He firmly believes that peace is key to mobilizing the young in Haiti and promoting justice. He formed a ministry in the slums of Port-au-Prince which has become a beacon to kids who want to stay out of gangs, to embrace education, to play sports, to promote comradery and fair play. His garden project took off in 2014 and has been featured on CNN as a way to grow food and teach children to work for success. He brought his knowledge to our sister parish two years ago and spent days working with school children who became enthusiastic about growing food. He continues to support our garden project in Robillard and to work with the agronomist we hired to oversee the fields. Notably, Daniel has been named a CNN Hero 2019 –a worldwide search conducted by CNN each year. Please welcome him to Saint Rose and thank him for supporting our Haiti Mission Ministry these past 16 years.
Fr. Andre Sylvestre email@example.com
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service