Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
Haiti Update May 19
When we plan a mission trip to Haiti, we put out a call to others to consider travelling with us. That call is not necessarily for medical experience because our service is greater than one focus. Those who participate return from the mission with an overwhelming sense of change within themselves. Those of us who remain “at home” listen and observe those changes, too. And both the missionary and the stay-at-home become caught up in service to others. Parishioners who support our mission in Haiti know that our Haitian brothers and sisters live in circumstances so unlike our own. Those who travel to Haiti are shocked by conditions upon arrival. Yet, within hours of being at Notre Dame de la Merci, they see and feel what John writes in today’s reading. There is a sense of hope that lives in the hearts of our Haitian brothers and sisters that is renewed each day. John speaks of a new heaven, a new earth, and a new Jerusalem. Haitians live with the optimism that tomorrow will be better than today. Their faith in God’s presence is strong. God calls them to bring the pain of the present moment and to surrender it at the foot of the cross, not once, but every day. We believe that God can take all that is broken and make everything new. We are called to serve and with our participation here or in Haiti, we too are open to a power that can turn sorrow into joy and death into new life.
Fr. Andre Sylvestre firstname.lastname@example.org
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service