Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
Haiti Update Sep 23
Notre Dame de la Merci opened September 10th the usual excitement of children returning to school. After lining up in front of their classrooms for the year, they all sang their national anthem. All is well in school—with one exception. Two 4th grade classes are having school in rooms across the road in the vocational education building. The old classrooms showed serious structural problems and needed to be repaired over the summer. However, the construction agent determined that repairs would be temporary. So, Fr Andre made the decision that as soon as possible it would be necessary to tear down the building and build a new 2-classroom building. Likely the next hurricane would destroy the original. And the community began to pray for guidance.
Meanwhile, here at St. Rose, a generous donor from St. Rose donated $10,000 on the weekend we had our fundraiser to support the school in Robillard. We were unaware of Fr. Andre’s decision to replace the building. Four days later, we shared the good news with Fr. Andre and he shared his need with us! It was a “God moment” when we all recognized the action of the Holy Spirit among us! Gratitude abounds! By this weekend the building will be torn down and the debris removed. We still need to raise additional funds to cover the entire cost of the materials-- $7000. Fr. Andre has asked the laborers to work 5 days a week and donate a 6th day each week as their donation to the project. This gives the community ownership of the new school building. Over the next year, other classrooms need to be replaced. One classroom will bear the name of the first donor from St. Rose. If another family or group of friends or ministry would like their name above the second door, please call the Office and we will be in touch with you.
And thank you for your generous support for the School, for feeding the children each school day and for supporting our excellent clinic. Together we do make a difference!
Fr. Andre Sylvestre firstname.lastname@example.org
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service