Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
September 15 Update
In Robillard, Haiti this week, children walked to school as the sun was rising to start another year of learning. To their surprise, Fr. Andre has hired six new teachers who have more training and skill in teaching the young than ever before. These teachers are living in the former tech school rooms which have been converted into bedrooms with bathrooms and a third room converted to a kitchen. The teachers come from the nearby city of Cap-Haitian. Three men and three women. The 4 new student classrooms are ready with the exception of paint which will be done during the year. New benches and tables are being built and should be ready in the next month. New classroom materials have been purchased and are in the classrooms. We have 50 more students than last year filling each building with eager children from Preschool and Kindergarten through grade 7. In today’s Gospel, we hear about the father who had two sons…and to the older son he says, “Everything I have is yours!” We thank you for your generosity and prayers for this ministry. In Robillard this day, our brothers and sisters thank God for His bounty given to them. God has connected us to Robillard, this part of His family, His faithful Ones. Trust that your care and your prayers make a difference.
September 8 Update
School is about to start in Robillard! Fr. Andre terminated several staff members because they were unwilling to improve their skills. He hired 6 new staff members. After some input from Fr. Andre, we will investigate what programs are available in the city (Cap- Haitien) that staff can attend either in the afternoons or over the summer. In talking with the principal Vilius, he wants WIFI brought into the compound so that children can begin to receive extra practice through a program called Kahn Academy. It is a website backed by Bill and Melinda Gates and others. The first skill will be math. It is a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere. All the lessons are in 36 languages. Over the next year, Vilius plans to build his mastery and that of his staff. In the Spring, if all goes well, he will introduce the children to the new math lab. Low cost tablets will be used rather than computers. The tablets are resilient to dust and moisture. The hardware is available in Haiti; thus, avoiding shipment and custom fees. Security and storage of the hardware is simple— locked file cabinets behind locked doors. Daniel Tillias began using this website and hardware in the slums of Port-au-Prince a year ago. It is a favorite after school activity for his youth groups. Check out the website for Kahn Academy! And, thank you for supporting our mission in Haiti. We do make a difference in the parish Notre Dame de la Merci.
Fr. Andre Sylvestre email@example.com
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service