The Sacrament of Baptism
Goals and Purpose:
To help the parents, families, and sponsors of children understand the meaning and impact of baptism on the Christian life. To prepare parents to a greater awareness of their duties as spiritual guardians of their children.
The Catholic Church believes it is our duty to offer parents, guardians, and godparents the opportunity to fully understand the sacrament of baptism. Attendance at this class is required for all parents who have not had a child baptized in the last two years and who wish to have their child baptized. Classes are offered on the first Wednesday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Adult Education Wing.
General Policy for Baptism of children at Saint Rose of Lima
- Parents must be registered and actively participating members of Saint Rose of Lima Church before beginning the Baptismal process.
- If registered in another parish and the grandparents of the infant to be baptized are registered parishioners of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church, the parents must have a letter of permission from the pastor of their home parish.
- *Parents are REQUIRED to attend the Baptismal preparation classes in order to have the child baptized at Saint Rose of Lima.
- To reserve a spot for formal baptismal class please contact the parish office.
Godparent requirements and information
Godparents are to be chosen for their faith commitment and ability to assist the Godchild and parents with the faith journey. It is customary to have two Godparents, however only one is required for baptism.
A Godparent may be either male or female. If two are chosen then one must be male and the other female. Only one of each gender may be listed as Godparents. Godparents may be required to attend one formal baptismal class.
*Godparents must meet the following requirements:
- 16 years of age or older.
- Must be fully-initiated Roman Catholics (Baptism, Confirmation and First Communion)
- Must be married in the Catholic Church or have their marriage recognized by the Catholic Church. If single, must be living a chaste single-life, not cohabitating or civilly married only.
- Must be active practicing Catholics in full communion with the Catholic Church & striving to live a life in harmony with Its Teachings; including being registered in a parish & attending Sunday Mass on a weekly basis.
- To be chosen as a godparent is a special honor and is not to be taken lightly.